Match Reports


Wetheriggs United U16’s 5 - 2 Cockermouth U16’s  

 Wetheriggs United under 16’s playing their first game since November, played host to league leaders Cockermouth and ran out 5-2 winners. In an even opening half hour both sides had chances to score, but these were either squandered or foiled by the impressive keepers. The games 1st goal came in the 32nd minute after some good interplay by Harry Phillips and Anthony Bailey release striker Kieran Gregory into the box where he placed a low drive into the bottom left hand corner of the goals. Unfortunately for the home side this lead didn’t last long and with 35 minutes of the clock the visitors drew level, new signing Joseph Nichol was left helpless after a Cockermouth forward blasted the ball into the roof of the net after Wetheriggs failed to clear a corner. Ben Brookes playing in an unfamiliar role at right back was instrumental in the games next goal, his long ball into the box troubled the keeper and Gregory pounced to head home from close in. Manager Mark Brookes made use of the rolling substitution rule and introduced Ben Wereszczyski and it was after his effort was saved that Gregory rifled home to make in 3-1 just after the break. Again the home side were guilty of a lack of concentration when from the restart the visitors scored in the 8th minute of the second half. With Ben Dixon and Adam Hullock winning the midfield battle, the home side started to get more efforts on goal and in the 70th minute it was that man again Gregory who put the game out of Cockermouths’ reach when he rounded the keeper and slotted home from an acute angle. The best goal of the game was Wetheriggs and Gregory’s final goal, this came after the impressive Lewis Ridley had played a slide rule pass down the line to Matthew Golden and his inside pass found Gregory who lobbed the keeper from outside the area.

Brookes said “The effort that the players have put in at training over the winter period paid dividend today’s, as our fitness proved a big factor in inflicting Cockermouths’ first defeat of the campaign. I thought that captain Daniel Sinkinson was immense at the heart of our defence” he added “Kieran Gregory finished with 5 goals in a spectacular display of marksmanship.


Wetheriggs 5 - 1 Staveley  

 Martin Coleman fired Wetheriggs back to the top of the league with 4 goals and an assist with the striker proving to be the cutting edge of a fine team performance.

Staveley began the day 1 point clear of Wetheriggs having played 2 more games therefore this was an important game for both teams   Wetheriggs looked strong from the start but were let down by their final ball in the early stages. They did take the lead when a Phil Askins free kick was headed back across goal by James Grinbergs and Coleman controlled the ball and fired home. In fairness to Stavely they tried to play football from the back and allow the Ellwood brothers in midfield to get on the ball but the work rate of the Wetheriggs midfield and attack allowed them little space and kept them pinned in their own half. They came closest when an in swinging free kick was held by goalkeeper Chris Walker but after a nudge from a Stavely player he fell back over the line and did well to keep the ball out. Wetheriggs were the better team but needed a 2nd goal. Pete Askins came close when he slid in with a Stavely defender but saw the ball rebound off the post. The all important 2nd goal eventually came on the stroke of half time when Phil Askins flicked a ball over the defence and Coleman lobbed the ball over the advancing keeper for a fine finish   Wetheriggs expected Stavely to come out fighting in the second half and Walker did have to be at his best to turn a shot around the post but the home team were to dominate the second half. Coleman sent Barry Stockdale through on goal but his tame shot was easily saved but it was Coleman who was to settle the game and secure his hat trick when he beat several defenders and drove a shot across the keeper and into the bottom corner of the net. Stavely were then reduced to ten men when their defender made a reckless challenge on Coleman and with a yellow card already to his name he had to go. Steven Ainsworth sent Coleman through yet again with the striker scoring a 4th with a powerful drive past a helpless keeper. The Wetheriggs defence and midfield enjoyed all of the possession but again it was the direct approach of Coleman that led to the fifth goal when he crossed for substitute Andrew Rawlindson to score a fine header. Stavely scored a late consolation from the penalty spot with what seemed a harsh decision after their winger fell in the area when surrounded by 3 defenders. This win leaves Wetheriggs level on points at the top with Kirkoswald but with a superior goal difference and game in hand.


Carvetti 0 - 5 Wetheriggs

 Carvetti and Wetheriggs met in the Benevolent Cup but unfortunately the home team were only able to raise a team of 10 players.

The home team worked hard early on and had an early chance when their striker broke through from the right after a fine team move but drove his shot into the side netting. Barry Stockdale was unlucky not to open the scoring for Wetheriggs when his 25 yard shot struck the cross bar. Wetheriggs went on to take the lead when Martin Coleman cut in from an angle and drove a 20 yard low shot into the bottom corner. Stockdale and Coleman then combined to set Grinbergs through on the right and the winger crossed for Grant Davidson to fire home a second for Wetheriggs. The game remained 2-0 well into the second half in which time Davidson had struck a post and Carvetti cleared an effort from a corner which looked to have crossed the line. Wetheriggs introduced Steven Hall and Andrew Rawlindson from the bench and the two combined to score a third goal with Rawlindson heading home an excellent cross from Hall. Stockdale then sent Coleman through with the striker rounding the keeper and slotting home and Davidson rounded up the scoring when he latched onto a great ball from Tom Barclay and showed a touch of class to lob over the advancing keeper. Manager Martin Currie should have scored in the dying minutes but fired over with the goal at his mercy. Credit to the 10 men of Carvetti who did turn up to compete. Wetheriggs will travel to Shap in the next round.


Carvetti 1 - 4 Wetheriggs  

 Wetheriggs travelled to Carvetti for another tough fixture on paper. Carvetti had their chances in the first 15 minutes and final 15 minutes of this game but in between Wetheriggs were too strong for their opponents.   It was Carvetti that could have opened the scoring firstly shooting wide when through on goal and then seeing a goal bound header cleared off the line by Wetheriggs defender Richard Prokas. Once Wetheriggs had survived this early scare they began to control the game. The first goal came for the away team when Paul Pattinsons header was parried by the Carvetti keeper and Grant Davidson was on hand to fire home from close range. Andrew Rollinson making his first start for Wetheriggs this season was looking a handful for the Carvetti defence and his hold up and link up play allowed Davidson to pick the ball up on the edge of the area and fire a low shot into the bottom corner to make it two. Two soon became three when Rollinson and Davidson again linked up with the latter rounding the keeper only to be tripped for a penalty. Phil Askins stepped up to make amends for his penalty miss in the previous game to make it three. Carvetti looked in shock at how quick the game had turned and with Wetheriggs playing with confidence they could have increased their lead with Grant Davidson and Nicky Davidson both going close before half time.   Wetheriggs started the second half well and soon increased their lead when Pete Askins met an excellent ball from Steven Ainsworth to volley home from 18 yards. With a comfortable lead Wetheriggs took their foot off the gas allowing Carvetti to enjoy more possession and begin to create chances. They should have scored when their striker glanced a header wide with the goal at his mercy and another chance came when they broke through but fired high and wide. At the other end Grant Davidson who was desperate to claim a hat trick came close after good work from Barclay and Grinbergs down the right led to the latter crossing for Davidson who headed against the cross bar. Carvetti broke directly from this missed chance and after a scramble in the Wetheriggs penalty area they scored a consolation goal from close range.


Wetheriggs United 2 - 0 Appleby

 Wetheriggs ran out 2-0 winners after a closely fought contest with Appleby. Wetheriggs were looking to continue their early season form but a determined Appleby team worked hard to stop Wetheriggs playing football and it was the away team that played some nice football during the first half. Both teams had good chances to open the scoring. Wetheriggs keeper Chris Walker made a fine save to turn a low drive around the post. At the other end Steven Hall rounded Appleby keeper Paul Crawford and crossed for Grant Davidson at the back post but an Appleby defender had positioned himself perfectly to clear the strikers effort off the line. Wetheriggs then thought they had opened the scoring when Phil Askins hit a spectacular 20 yard scissor kick into the top corner but the linesman had raised his flag for offside. This spell of Wetheriggs pressure was rewarded when Pete Askins won an important tackle in midfield which led to Phil Askins and Davidson playing a neat one two with the latter finishing from close range. Appleby kept pushing and saw a header hit the post with their winger just offside.

 Wetheriggs realised this wasn't a game they could play much football mainly due to Applebys spirited performance so they changed tactics in the second half and looked much stronger. The work rate of the home players improved and they closed down Appleby all over the pitch. Davidson nearly made it 2 after latching onto a Grinbergs long ball but Crawford made an excellent save to turn the ball over the bar. Wetheriggs then had a great chance to seal the game when Pete Askins was felled in the box for a penalty. Phil Askins hit his penalty well but it re-bounded off the inside of the post and back out. The home team seemed to drop their tempo for the following 10 minutes allowing Appleby to push forward. The away teams best chance came when their striker hooked a ball over Walker but the ball hit the post and fell kindly back into the keepers hands. Wetheriggs survived this scare and sealed the game with 10 minutes remaining after good work from Andrew Rollinson set Davidson through on goal and the striker made no mistake with a good finish past Crawford


Gillford Park 2 - 1 Wetheriggs (aet)

Brave Wetheriggs crash out of cup after epic game

Wetheriggs travelled to Gillford Park in the County Cup on Tuesday night and after a fantastic effort from both teams former Penrith player Reed scored in the 117th minute in extra time to send Gillford Park through.Gillford Park started very brightly and moved the ball around sharply. They took the lead after 5 minutes when their midfielder ran onto their strikers flick on and side footed past keeper Nigel Mcombie. It took Wetheriggs 15 minutes or so to find their shape, but gradually they began to enjoy plenty of possession and played some nice football. Lee Thoele and Pete Askins looked dangerous when attacking down the right and they began to put pressure on Gillford's defence. Wetheriggs first chance fell to James Grinbergs but he sliced wide from 8 yards. Wetheriggs thought they had equalised when Steven Hall tapped into an empty net after the home keeper had spilled the ball, unfortunately the linesman's flag had gone up for what seemed a harsh decision. The work rate of both teams was impressive and with Martin Strong having an excellent game for Wetheriggs at the back Gillford could not create any further chances. The teams went in at the break with Gillford still one up. The 2nd half began at the same pace as the first and both teams continued to pass the ball around well. Wetheriggs got their deserved equaliser when Phil Askins put Pete Askins through and the winger kept a cool head to slot the ball past the keeper. Gillford's reaction was to introduce ex Penrith striker Reed to the action. He immediately looked dangerous but some excellent defending from Howard, Strong and Grinbergs  kept the striker out on several occasions. At the other end Lee Thoele went on another strong run but blasted a powerful shot over from a tight angle. Tiredness crept in as the half wore on but adrenalin seemed to keep the Wetheriggs players going. Mathew Hutton and Sid Emerson combined down the left with the latter hitting an excellent ball across the 6 yard box with Hall only inches away. Gillford had several long range efforts which didn't trouble Mcombie but could have won it in normal time when a corner fell to two attacking players at the back post. Fortunately the rigg's defence reacted to clear the ball. The game entered extra time and as both teams were tired there was very little in terms of chances during the first 15 minute period. Wetheriggs introduced Jonathan Green and Niall Renwick to the action and with fresh legs Renwick's speed caused the Gillford defence problems. Wetheriggs nearly scored when Renwick's shot hit Pete Askins on the head and the ball looped up and over the keepers head but he made a good recovery to tip the ball over for a corner. With the game heading towards penalties Gillford snatched a late goal when Reed managed to break clear and his left foot shot from a tight angle found the net. Wetheriggs fighting spirit on the night had been excellent and they pushed hard in the final two minutes and were unlucky not to take the game to penalties. Another break from Renwick resulted in a corner. From the resulting corner Emerson's goal bound effort was deemed to have been handled by a Gillford defender and rigg's were awarded a last minute penalty. Steve Ainsworth stepped up and hit a powerful penalty but the keeper pulled off a strong save to see the ball over the bar. Even then with only seconds left Wetheriggs laid siege to the Gillford goal with 3 corners in a row and Renwick had a great chance at the back post but his effort was cleared off the line. This was the last play of the game and Gillford held out for the win.  

Burneside 1 - 1 Wetheriggs

This was Wetheriggs first league game since October and it was to be another frustrating day as they allowed Burneside a late goal. Wetheriggs started well and Martin Strong gave them an early lead when he fired in from close range after a knock down from Steven Hall. Hall himself had two chances during the first half but headed wide from a Mills corner and then headed over from Lee Thoele's cross. Burneside's young team played some good football and their two centre half's had strong games. Burneside's only chance of the first half came when their striker beat keeper Martin Currie and side footed the ball towards an empty net. Fortunately Jamie Howard was on hand to clear. Wetheriggs created more chances during the 2nd half but failed to take them. Pete Askins ran clear but after poking the ball past the onrushing keeper his shot trickled just wide of the post. Sid Emerson was unlucky when he hit a fine 25 yard shot but again it just flew wide. Emerson again found space and through on goal but he hit a tame shot at the keeper with Mills perhaps better positioned to his left. Although one goal to the good Wetheriggs seemed to let frustration get the better of them and this resulted in more and more errors. This invited Burneside on during the last 15 mins and the home team became more and more of threat. They had a goal ruled out for offside and then stand in keeper Currie made a great save tipping a free kick onto the cross bar. Burneside however did equalise with 5 minutes remaining when 2 players combined well and their substitute smashed home shot from the edge of the area. Burneside were not finished and in the last minute they were awarded a penalty after their winger was up ended in the penalty area. Burneside's Willan stepped up but his shot smashed against the bar and over and the game ended a draw


Wetheriggs UTD 2 - 1 Carlisle UTD Res

 Wetheriggs entertained Carlisle United Reserves in this eagerly anticipated 3rd round County Cup tie. After 5 weeks without a game Wetheriggs started as underdogs against their opponents whose team train on a daily basis. Carlisle United were playing away at Gillingham on the day but their Reserves still turned up with over 20 players mostly from their YTS set up.

Wetheriggs however started strongly and this allowed their confidence to grow. Carlisle as expected showed neat touches and passed the ball around sharply but Wetheriggs to their credit applied pressure on the ball at all times. Steven Hall and Pete Askins showed the way as they did not allow the Carlisle defence to settle. James Grinbergs and Phil Askins were outnumbered three to two in midfield but worked hard and were supported from the flanks by Andy Mills and Sid Emerson. Carlisle's strikers looked skilful and held up the ball well but again the Wetheriggs defence of Thoele, Howard, Strong and Hutton stood strong and never allowed them any space to play. The whole team continued to win tackles and apply pressure all over the pitch and this worked in their favour as Carlisle were unable to find any real rhythm.

Wetheriggs took the lead after some good play down the right between Emerson, Hall and Thoele with the latter crossing for Pete Askins who beat his defender to the ball and side footed past the keeper from 6 yards. This was no more than the home team deserved and they should have increased the lead when Mills swung in an excellent free kick to the back post but Emerson sliced the ball high with the goal at his mercy. The Carlisle midfield continued to move the ball around well and managed to create a clear chance when their striker found space behind the defence and found himself through on goal. Fortunately for Wetheriggs, keeper Chris Walker who had an excellent game in goal managed to stand tall and produced a fine save down to his right to deflect the ball wide.

Wetheriggs reached half time with their lead in tact but some of their players were looking tired after their efforts. The home team knew that Carlisle would come out stronger for the 2nd half and they would need to repeat their first half efforts. Carlisle did come out sharper in the second half and equalised on the hour. Jamie Howards defensive header fell to a Carlisle midfielder who turned and chipped a shot towards the back post. The ball floated over Walker and into the top corner. It seemed a slightly fortunate goal at the time as it looked to be a cross but the player later admitted he did go for goal. At this point Wetheriggs could have dropped their heads but to their credit they continued to play good football and pressure the Carlisle defence. They re-took the lead soon after when Hall met Phil Askins corner at the near post and glanced an excellent header into the roof of the net. Carlisle's one and only clear chance to draw the game level came when the home defence went to sleep from a throw in and their winger found a fellow player in the box but with the ball bouncing awkwardly he glanced the ball over the bar from close range. Wetheriggs should have really increased their lead when Mills sent in yet another excellent free kick. On this occasion it was Grinbergs who beat the offside but with the goal at his mercy his diving header was miss-timed and the ball went high and wide. Grinbergs again went close towards the end when his 20 yard shot just flew wide of the post. Steven Hall was fantastic in the final 10 minutes as he held up the ball and won numerous throw-ins in the corners to relieve the pressure on his team. Carlisle did apply pressure in the dying minutes but Walker held everything and Wetheriggs held out for a deserved victory on a memorable day for the club.